A lot of people have this nightmare of waking up to the sounds of someone inside their homes at 2 in the morning. After all, all our loved ones and prized possessions are inside our homes. Our home is supposed to protect us and our belongings and most of the time; it will do a great job if you take extra precautions. That is until you are face to face with a determined robber who’s so surprised to see you there that he’ll do anything not to get caught, including inflicting harm to you and your family.
To make matters worse, you could be walking down a dark street minding your own business when some pothead decides that he wants to take your wallet and kill you before going to bed. So what are you going to do especially if he tells you that “no one’s going to hear you if you scream”? Ladies and gentlemen, you have to defend yourself…on your own.
The worst thing about these situations is they won’t fight fair. They’ll do anything to be at an advantage over you. You can fight unarmed if you know unarmed combat. But you’ll be at a disadvantage if he has weapons. So most of the time, you have to gain back that advantage or at least level the playing field. These situations make weapons very vital in ensuring self-preservation.
There are weapons that you can buy that will do the job effectively like firearms and it’s always a good idea to have them for self and home defense. There are also more complex homemade weapons but you can’t carry outside your home. However, there are simple weapons that you can make at home that you can carry with you or place at strategic areas in your home for easy access whenever you need them. Here are some examples.
A pocket stick, also known as Kubotan and Yawara, is a simple weapon that you can carry anywhere with you. Here are the things that you need:
- A rod (preferably hard plastic or wood to avoid setting off metal detectors)
- A drill
- Sharp knife
Here are the steps on making your own pocket stick:
- Cut the rod depending on the size of your hand. Grip the rod and make sure there’s at least 2 inches that protrudes from both sides. Saw off the rod making sure that it extends to both sides of your hand for at least 2 inches. But 2 inches is most efficient.
- Drill two holes right at the middle that are 2 inches apart.
- Thread the paracord through the holes and there should be a loop at one side where you’re going to insert your middle fingers. Grip the rod and loop the paracord around your middle fingers and make sure that there’s a tight fit. Cut off the ends of the paracord using the knife and burn it off to create a lump so that it will not pass through the holes.
- You can also make another hole for a key ring.
This weapon can make your hand a very lethal weapon. Aside from punching straight, you can also use hammer strikes to hit your attacker with the end of the pocket stick. The finished product should look like this:
Pepper sprays are very effective self-defense weapons so you can incapacitate your attacker and gain an upper hand so you can follow up with offensive hits or just get out of there. Here are the materials that you’ll need:
- Pot with lid (one medium sized and one small sized)
- 16 ounces of alcohol (91% Isopropyl)
- A pound of ground chili pepper seeds
- 100 ml baby oil
- Protective mask to protect yourself from the fumes
- Wear the protective mask and put the chili seeds and the alcohol in the pot. Be sure to place the lid on and boil for 30 minutes.
- Strain the dark red liquid into the smaller pot and put about 3 to 4 cups of water. Boil the mixture and let it evaporate until you see a very thick liquid.
- Mix the mixture with the baby oil after letting it cool. Place them in misters, squirt guns and the likes.
Most of us have played with one when we were kids. With the windows that we’ve broken, it’s easy to see how it can be an effective self defense weapon. Here are the things that you need:
- A Y-shaped piece of wood
- 12 inch rubber (surgical tubing works great)
- 1 by 2 inch leather
- You can either find wood that’s already shaped like a slingshot or you can find a piece of wood and just carve it. Dogwood works great.
- Attach each end of the rubber to the tips of the “Y”. You can attach them using the strings. Make sure to string them tightly.
- Cut the middle of the rubber.
- Punch two holes at the end of the leather. String the rubber where you cut it on both ends and attach them using the string.
- Use small rocks as projectile.
As you can see, you can easily make weapons that you can use for home or self defense. Just make sure to check local laws to make sure that you’re not breaking any laws in using them.